Our 25th anniversary last Spring was marked by the largest individual gift Mary of Nazareth School has ever received in my tenure. An anonymous donor gave $100,000 toward a beautiful community space and courtyard that will further accentuate our Catholicity, bolster student engagement, and strengthen community. I am extremely excited about the transformative impact this will have on our school following Covid 19.
• We will now have direct access to Our Lady’s Chapel with increased visibility and use of our worship space.
• All community members will have opportunities to more readily engage in their faith through prayer, reflection, Adoration, and recitation of the Rosary while on campus.
• The courtyard will serve as an outdoor classroom and flexible workspace. A garden with indigenous flowers will attract natural wildlife for observation and data collection.
• Extracurricular clubs/activities will make use of the courtyard after school and on weekends. • Special grade-level lunches and classroom parties can be held in the courtyard.
• The space will serve as an outdoor alternative for parent meetings and school events. • Parent volunteers may utilize the courtyard to socialize while on campus.
• Parents and school officials will use the courtyard for social activities occurring outside of school hours.
The board has engaged a landscape design company and now possesses plans with the goal of building this courtyard and upgrading the landscaping over the summer months. In addition to these plans, the Facilities Committee of the School Board has determined it is an appropriate time to upgrade our landscaping at the entrance and approach to the school building. The aims of this large-scale beautification effort are to achieve greater balance, create continuity, infuse color, maximize a positive first impression, and accentuate Our Lady’s Chapel
As a result of this extraordinary gift, and in an effort to capture the momentum the new courtyard transformation presents, we will be raising the paddle at this year’s gala for a twenty-six-year upgrade to our facilities landscaping that will continue paying dividends until we turn fifty.
PS—After a tour of the school and a review of the plans, former school parent and board chair, Dr. Dennis Stiles made our first financial gift ($1,000) to this community-wide effort, please consider joining him by raising the paddle at the 26th Benefit Gala on April 24.
The courtyard will be located directly adjacent to Our Lady’s Chapel and the preschool. This space will provide an opportunity to enhance, engage, and strengthen our school community by this September. Thank you in advance for your thoughtful consideration to support this vital effort to reconnect, recommit, and return to some normalcy.